Haemophilia Academy 2008 - 2013
The first six Haemophilia Academy courses took place at the Royal College of Surgeons in Edinburgh, UK, each November from 2008 to 2013. The events were an enormous success, with participants rating the overall course content as 4.81 out of 5 in 2008, 4.93 out of 5 in 2009, 3.8 out of 4 in 2010, 3.83 out of 4 in 2011, 3.90 out of 4 in 2012 and 3.96 out of 4 in 2013.
"The course was outstanding – my knowledge about total haemophilia care has been greatly enhanced. In addition, my commitment to care of haemophilia patients has been strengthened."
2008 Haemophilia Academy participant
"To participate in this meeting was a great honour – it gave me the opportunity to improve my knowledge by meeting Faculty and other colleagues from all over the world to exchange information."
2009 Haemophilia Academy participant
"I was planning a future in haemophilia, but I know now that I will absolutely do it. It was wonderful. Thank you very much. It was a great honour to be taught by such mentors like you. I will shortly go back to my country and do anything I can to improve haemophilia care and try to work on establishing qualified centres at home."
2010 Haemophilia Academy participant
"The meeting was exceptional; the experience that the professors shared with us was very important for future decisions that will involve my patients and for my career."
2011 Haemophilia Academy participant
"The content was very broad and well balanced between 'basic science', clinical practice and organisation. The structure of individual talks was similarly balanced."
2012 Haemophilia Academy participant
"The best comprehensive education I have yet to experience. The organisation and depth/breadth of topics covered was fantastic. I will use the coursework binder and references as a resource for years to come. Truly a career-enhancing and milestone experience."
2013 Haemophilia Academy participant
2008 - 2013 alumni
To maximise interactivity and networking and optimise best-practice sharing, participant places were limited and the Faculty invited centres from all over the world to nominate one qualified physician from their centre to apply. Despite haemophilia being a relatively small field, the first six courses were all oversubscribed. The places were allocated by the Faculty based on review of the applications against pre-defined criteria.
Trainee haemophilia treaters came from all over the world to participate in the Haemophilia Academy courses each year from 2008 - 2013:
The participants have all given their permission for their names to be displayed.
Participants completed evaluation forms at the end of each course day to assess the quality of sessions, how well the learning objectives were met and to what extent their learnings will change their clinical practice.
Quantitative and qualitative feedback from participants was extremely encouraging:
- Overall rating for course content – 4.81 out of 5
- Rating for how well the learning objectives were met – 4.63 out of 5
- Extent to which the learnings from each session will change participants' clinical practice – 4.16 out of 5
- "The course has been excellent. High-quality education, relevant topics, enthusiastic teachers, friendly atmosphere."
- "Thanks again for a suprb meeting. I feel really privileged to have been invited. It ran flawlessly and we were very well looked after."
- Overall rating for course content – 4.93 out of 5
- Rating for how well the learning objectives were met – 4.71 out of 5
- Extent to which the learnings from each session will change participants' clinical practice – 4.12 out of 5
- "Absolutely excellent talks – fabulous tutors."
- "It was great interacting with fellows and junior Faculty from around the world. This was a unique opportunity and I am glad I could participate."
- "Covered a good spectrum of topics…. Great Faculty, all experts but very friendly and approachable, making it easy to ask questions."
- "Like the 'case based' approach and interactive voting and good interaction at workshops"
- "Enjoyed every second of the meeting – wish I could come back for more!"
- Overall rating for course content - 3.8 out of 4
- Rating for how well the learning objectives were met - 3.7 out of 4
- Extent to which the learnings from each session will change participants' clinical practice - 3.0 out of 4
- "Excellent meeting. Great interaction between Faculty and other participants. Interactive sessions complementary to didactic teaching."
- "The content of the meeting was perfectly chosen and fulfilled all my expectations."
- "Very valuable educational opportunity - I will certainly recommend this meeting to others."
- "I think the meeting was a wonderful experience from both a professional and personal point of view."
- Overall rating for course content - 3.83 out of 4
- Rating for how well the learning objectives were met - 3.71 out of 4
- Extent to which the learnings from each session will change participants' clinical practice - 3.28 out of 4
- "This has been, by far, one of my favourite and most productive meetings during my brief career"
- "The opportunity to interact with the faculty was really great. The interaction between participants was also really helpful for developing new contacts across the globe"
- "The content was very broad and well balanced between 'basic science', clinical practice and organisation"
- "Overall, the meeting was fabulous. Great learning"
- Overall rating for course content - 3.90 out of 4
- Rating for how well the learning objectives were met - 3.74 out of 4
- Extent to which the learnings from each session will change participants' clinical practice - 3.29 out of 4
- "The best experience in my life"
- "Excellent - will go back to my home country and be more confident in how I manage patients with haemophilia as can now apply evidence-based medicine"
- "Overall a wonderful week filled with many useful and interesting topics. An honour to be able to truly learn from experts in their field"
- "The pace of the meeting and amount of information was perfect - I did not feel overwhelmed. I enjoyed almost every session immensely, I had opportunity to directly interact with the tutors, which was priceless. Thank you for a wonderful 5 days"
- Overall rating for course content - 3.96 out of 4
- Rating for how well the learning objectives were met - 3.65 out of 4
- Extent to which the learnings from each session will change participants' clinical practice - 3.50 out of 4
- "Excellent experience, very informative and very well organised"
- "Fantastic meeting, wonderful opportunity to meet colleagues around the world and to discuss not only different practices and constraints, but also differences in training"
- "Excellent workshops and clinical sessions were great opportunities for proactive learning"
- "The meeting was excellent! I learned a great deal about every aspect of haemophilia and feel very prepared for taking care of patients with the disorder"